<VV> Starting Fluid

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Wed Jul 13 17:46:07 EDT 2005

At 06:15 hours 07/12/2005, Frog Princezz wrote:
>Hey Ya'll,
>Why is it that when my car sits up for a while (about a week) I need to
>spray a little starting fluid in the carbs?  After that she runs fine and
>I can turn her off and start her back up but that cold start just won't
>happen.  She's a lot like me I don't like the cold either.

What shape are the accelerator pumps in the carbs?     If there's any fuel
in the bottoms of the carbs at all, the pumps should squirt
something.    If the carbs have dried out completely (which shouldn't
happen unless the car sits for a week or more) they still should refill
during some ambitious engine cranking whereupon the accelerator pumps
should prime the engine and make it start.

...several little things can cause hard starting after sitting a
while.   But if the carbs are in good working order, and that fuel pump's
issues are all resolved, the engine should start without any starting aids
like starter fluid etc.

tony..