<VV> Starting Fluid

Larry Forman Larry at forman.net
Wed Jul 13 22:03:29 EDT 2005

At 06:15 PM 7/12/2005 -0700, Frog Princezz wrote:
>Hey Ya'll,
>Why is it that when my car sits up for a while (about a week) I need to
>spray a little starting fluid in the carbs?  After that she runs fine and
>I can turn her off and start her back up but that cold start just won't
>happen.  She's a lot like me I don't like the cold either.
>
>Alesia
>65 Monza Vert
>Detroit

Hi Alesia,
I had a problem like that on my Greenbrier.  I thought that it might be the
fuel evaporating from the carb float bowls.  BUT, when I tried to start it,
it would take longer and longer to crank the engine until the engine would
start.  Using some starting fluid and it would start right up, so I KNEW it
was due to a lack of fuel.  The problem kept getting worse and worse and I
finally decided to replace the mechanical fuel pump with an electric.  Only
THEN did I find the true cause, which was a leaking rubber hose leading
into the engine compartment and causing the fuel pump to suck air.  Once
the engine was running there was sufficient flow to maintain the fuel
pumping, but cranking it was too slow and got worse as the air leak got
bigger.  The electric fuel pump pumped fuel onto the street and I quickly
(FORTUNATELY!) found the leaking hose.  After replacing the hose, and with
the electric fuel pump, I can fill float bowls and then the Greenbrier
engine starts after about one second always!  I sure do like electric fuel
pumps.

So my advice for hard starting conditions is to first replace the rubber
hose and then go from there.  Also, installing a fuel filter in that
location is a good idea while you are there.  Keep a spare hose and fuel
filter handy or stored in the car, just in case.

Larry