<VV> Quirky Vairs???

Mike Stillwell yenko117 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 14 08:51:03 EDT 2005

--- UltraMonzaWest at aol.com wrote:
>  JKFG717 at aol.com writes:
>
> > This car ran OK till a very talented mechanic
> rebuilt the  carbs. Not so
> > since.
> *****************
>  CARBS    Did he install them?   Did you give him
> the chance to troubleshoot
> them?
> Matt Nall

 Yes - and they were fine - we discussed this a few
weeks back. I really think it's the Pertronix, which
on Jim's car is wired in with the coil, not wired to
the constant 12 volt source, as is currently
recommended. My biggest problem is not being able to
have a day to fool with it and being away from my shop
with adequate tools and supplies. When I tuned it up,
it was 30 degrees outside and there were no lower
shrouds installed. Since then the car has had such
installed, and the weather has changed, which will
affect tune settings with regard to the choke. Still
bugs the crap out of me, because I've never ahd a carb
come back and I hand picked the nicest matched cores I
had for the rebuild.

 Mike
 YS-117

 PS - the car was having issues before I "did" the
carbs, i.e. - leaving the soot mark on the wall of the
garage. In hindsight, we went after the carbs based on
the advice of the P.O. I wish now that I had tested it
more with it's old carbs, before installing the
rebuilds. I'm really starting to think the motor might
have some other issues, but I was without a
compression tester to diagnose it any further.