<VV> Re: sick of my Corvair - no longer

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Thu Jul 14 15:00:37 EDT 2005

At 05:09 hours 07/13/2005, mhicks130 at cox.net wrote:
>The mystery is solv-ed.  I have a broken rocker arm.  For photographic
>evidence please look here:
>
>http://members.cox.net/mhicks130/wp-vair65.htm
>
>Now the question is: do I just replace the bad rocker, the rocker and its
>ball, both rockers and balls for cylinder #4 or all the rockers and balls
>on that side?

INSPECT all  of them.   REPLACE the broken rocker, its ball, and maybe also
its nut if the nut is "loose" on the stud.   You'll know what I mean about
loose.  It's a lock nut so it's not gonna turn easily if it's good.

No point in replacing everything under the valve cover if what's there is
serviceable.

IF anything else doesn't pass muster, such as a galled rocker ball, worn or
galled rocker arm tips, or a loose rocker stud nut, then replace the
suspect parts while you're there but it's not necessary to arbitrarily
replace everything.

Check those pushrods too for galled or eroded tips and for straightness and
make sure the oil holes are clean.    Anybody tell you about the rocker
ball lube holes in the pushrods?   A fraction of an inch away from the
ROCKER end of the pushrod there's a rather small oil hole which sprays oil
on the rocker arm pivots.   Make sure none of the pushrods are in
upside-down which would mean that the rocker of the offending pushrod
wouldn't get lubed and would eventually fail.    Carb cleaner will tell you
if the oil holes are clogged... and of course it will unclog them.

tony..