<VV> sick of my Corvair

Rt66Vairs at aol.com Rt66Vairs at aol.com
Thu Jul 14 15:31:25 EDT 2005

Owning any car in the area of 40 years old can be a challenge.

They will require attention to items that you never even consider on your
modern daily driver.

Seldom does one consider engine overhauls or complete brake system
replacements on a
10 or less year old car. Sure there are exceptions but not many.

How many have replaced a fuel tank because it rusted out from the inside on
a modern
vehicle. Most are plastic nowadays.

I've driven my daily drivers for at least 10 years and not had to consider
these things. I know
there are exceptions but I haven't ewxperienced it personally. 148,000  miles
on our 10 year
old Toyota Camry... Gave it to our son  & bought a new car. Traded  a 10 year
old Oldsmobile on the Camry. Last year sold my 1983 Toyota Pickup  360,000
miles on the original engine. Only a water pump replaced on that. Did  use Mobil
One practically from day. This according to the original owner so I
continued. Truck still ran great and the new owner drove it until it was  destroyed in
an accident. He replaced one rear wheel cyclinder. Bought a 2003  Tacoma.
Haven't done anything but change oil and filters and drive it... almost
30,000 miles already.

That Toytota truck was 20 years old when I sold it. I can't imagine it. not
starting to need major work by the time it was 40 years old.

Combine age with wear and "sitting" wear and you are going to have problems
to deal with.

If this is something you aren't ready to do... Buy a new Chevy or Dodge ot
Nissan and drive it.
Probably gonna be trouble free and you'll be much happier.

Me... I'm really happy turning wrenches on my Corvairs. My problem: Just
haven't had time
to do what I want for several years now. Things have recently changed and I
will start having the time I need soon.

Watch my Corvair DUST!

Tim ( Bleeding Corvair Oil ) Abney
Inland Empire Corvair Club