<VV> Re: sick of my Corvair - no longer

SPYDER62 at aol.com SPYDER62 at aol.com
Thu Jul 14 21:14:47 EDT 2005

Hi All
 Mike thinks he has it bad , got this today in the Datsun Roadster  list.
This guy had a great PO .
rich

I am slowly plugging along with my Solex 2000 and I felt a need to drive  it,
if nowhere else than in the driveway.

Do date I have refurbished:  the front and rear suspension and steering, the
brakes, the carbs (still in  process), the cooling system and the cylinder
head. The electrics are also in  process. The car has not been registered
since
1985, and I have never driven  it.

Well today, the sun is shining, I felt that I could move it just a  little
under it's own power (it has brakes)

I put it in gear, gently  let out the clutch and it moved backwards.

Ah ha, I have the shift  pattern wrong (the plate is in a box) so I put it in
second gear. I let out  the clutch, it moved backwards again!

Through all five gears, a lurch  backwards!  Reverse? It moved ahead!

Not being familiar, and not  thinking to check, I didn't notice that the PO
had
installed the diff carrier  UPSIDE DOWN!

Therefore, 5 backwards, 1 ahead. 'Jim Rockford' would  appreciate this.

The point: Am I the first or are there others who can  commiserate?

I needed to vent, thanks to all of you for your continued  enthusiasm and
thanks to the vendors,