<VV> Mo Fan

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Fri Jul 15 13:26:54 EDT 2005

Hello Padgett,

I beg to differ.  Your theory with the increased density is correct if you
are pumping against a blockage AND still flowing the same volume or even mass.
However, if you have no flow through, you are doing less work.  With zero flow
through, think of the fan as an air/metal composite rotating component.  Both
the air and metal are turning as a unit.  Of course, there will be some
losses due to turbulence but there are also turbulence effects in the flow through
model.  Here is an experiment.  If you have a shop vac, turn it on and put
your hand over the intake and exhaust sides.  In both cases, you can hear the
speed increase.  This would indicate to me that the load has gone down.  Of
course, my shop vac leaks like a sieve on the pressure side so the difference is
not that great when I cover the exit port.  I suppose that a canister vacuum
would be better for this experiment if some Corvair guys hadn't exploded them all
in a childish prank.

Now I imagine everyone running out to their respective garages to try the
experiment.

Doc
In a message dated 7/14/2005 11:56:37 AM Pacific Daylight Time,