<VV> Outa Grp Red

Brown, David BrownD at bsci.com
Fri Jul 15 17:26:32 EDT 2005

No, the "other" car I sold was a company Taurus wgn I bought back at
wholesale (it sold for not much more than wholesale- won't do that
again!).

I'm outa Group Red quick due to a spare engine I had "laying around".
Actually, I had the original vin# matching 140 rebuilt a couple of years
ago & it was just waiting for me to progress on my 2 projects.  I just
hadn't planned on my project 'progressing on me' (dropping a seat)
before I was ready, go figure.  So far, on the dropped seat engine,
(only 17,000 miles on it) I've had the heads repaired which required
only 2 seats.  I know some will say they should all be done on the
offending head, but the very reputable machine shop checked the others &
recommended against replacing them since they were OK.  Also had a valve
job (lapped) and new springs [2 were broken]).  I got a new piston
w/rings to replace the damaged one & had it pressed on the rod.  I'm
just waiting to hear the rest of the news on the engine (other rod
bearings, main bearings, oil pump specs).  The mechanic is busy & this
isn't a priority now, so it may take a couple of weeks.  The case needs
to be split as one rod journal (so far) on the crank is scarred.  The
rod bearings are already 10 over & I think 20 is the limit on a crank
(right?), so I'll probably be looking for a 140 crank as well.  If I
didn't like Corvairs, and working on them, and the people so much, I
might be 'Sick of them'!

Dave