<VV> Add on Air

N. Joseph Potts pottsf at msn.com
Sat Jul 16 10:47:33 EDT 2005

I have added "factory" air to a 66 coupe, and it is a HUGE job that took
months, and I estimate a bit over $1000. To do it my way (and I'm glad I
did), you pretty well have to have one or more donor cars, optimally of the
same year. The car doesn't HAVE to be right next to your recipient car, but
obviously, that's the best way to do it. You must also have the GM
instructions for installing air, available from Clark's Corvair Parts.
     There ARE aftermarket approaches, and books on the subject. I haven't
seen the books, but recommended is How to Air Condition Any Corvair, by
Richard Finch. Another is The Ultimate Guides to 'Vairs with Air by Greg
Riley. E-mail me if you want to know how to get these books. If you're
serious about this project, join Air 'Vairs, the CORSA chapter for air
conditioned Corvairs. If you're a CORSA member, you can join for $5 per year
sent to Mark Corbin, 5474 SR 19, Galion, OH 44833.
     Rusty Rose in Texas (see CORSA list online) is a leading supplier of
new components for air condtiioning Corvairs, and a very accessible expert
on the subject.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C