<VV> Dakota Modified Tour Results--Not 'Vair related

Scott Cable s2cable1 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 16 18:07:59 EDT 2005

VairHeads,
Got back this morning from the Dakota Modified Tour, which consisted of races every night from 7-9-05 thru 7-15-05.  We raced in Jamestown, ND, Minot, ND, Estevan,SK (Canada), Williston, ND (2 nights), Dickinson, ND and last night in Mandan, ND.
  The boys from Iowa were really tough, and came with their game on.  In fact Dean Mallstadt (clear Lake Iowa) won every one of the features except one night in Williston where he won his heat, but fried some rear outer wheel hub bearings (actually broke the bearing races) which dumped all of the gear oil, and fried his pinion gear on one of the 8 sets of gears he brought with.
  The team that I'm on did OK, we ended up winning 5 heat races.   We ended up not making the "show" 2 different nights, because of people running into us and taking us out.
The worst of the crashes occurred in the heat race at Dickinson.  We were in 2nd place at a restart, leading down the straight and turn one.  The 2nd place driver hit Don (our driver/owner) and caused him to spin at the entry of 2.  The last car in the field  T-boned us on the right side at full throttle!  That caused theright side of the frame behind the "dog-leg" to get pretty bent up, although there did not seem to hurt the right front suspension at all.  It almost ended our tour, but Wilhelm GMC in Bismark, ND graciously "loaned" us their frame machine and we were able to get the car reasonably straight for the race in Mandan later that night.  Don got a close 4th in his first heat, but since only the first 3 cars make the main, we were relegated to the con-c race heat which we handily won.
Unfortunately, our starting position was inside second to last row for the feature.  Dean Mallstadt was outside first row and (typically) led from the first turn all the way to the end, and was never even challenged.  Dean Mallstadt lapped the last 4 cars and was closing in on Don by the end of the race.  Don ended up 16th.
All in all, in was a fun week, we learned allot, and the car came back (basicly) in one piece, although  the bodywork looks like it's been "raced", the car is no worse for the wear.

Scott Cable
Jamestown, ND
s2cable1 at yahoo.com