<VV> thoughts on protecting your car from theft

Debbie Duval dduval at erols.com
Sun Jul 17 00:05:48 EDT 2005

As a shop owner, we used to get key codes, radio codes, etc. easily from dealers. Not so anymore. I even checked with a friend in the locksmith business in VA and he cannot even get key codes for his customers' cars. And he is a AAA lockout guy. No ID as owner of record, no information.

If you cover up the VIN number and your car is stolen, the thief will not remove the card but will change the plates, so the police will have no way to check the ID to find your car. As if they would be close enough to read the VIN....  If having the VIN exposed was such a bad idea, why is it federal law to display it? As a shop owner it is easy to read the vin on the windshield tag so the correct parts can be ordered for the car instead of trying to read the peeling and oversprayed labels in the door jamb.
"Paranoia strikes deep"

Frank DuVal