<VV> jack stands; clutch cable

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 17 02:21:38 EDT 2005

BTW...  You MIGHT be able to swage a new end onto the cable.  If the
adjustment comes out right (a somewhat slim chance), you won't even need to
put the car up.  Adjustment is done from under the car and should be pretty
close to the top of the pedal (good to have a helper pushing the pedal and
reporting travel to the "adjuster").  Maybe 1/2 inch or so (less?) travel
till you feel the clutch starting to engage.

JACKING:  I jack on the rockers - about 4 to 6 inches ahead of the rear
wheel.  Use a large (4 inches?) cup on the jack (you DO have a floor jack,
right?) and a block of wood on the cup to protect against scratching the
underside of the rocker.  Push the block of wood up to the outer edge of the
pinch well (seam) in the rocker panel.  Don't try to jack on that seam - you
will either mash it of split the piece of wood (or both).

The entire side of the car will come up instead of one wheel at a time.  I'm
sure others will have other jacking methods.  There IS a triangular shape
jacking pad just ahead of the rear wheel and inboard of the rocker.  I use
that area for the jack stand.

If you end up having to replace the entire clutch cable (which is more rod
than cable), you WILL need to get the car up on jack stands.  Once up, push
on each corner a bit to satisfy yourself that it is not going to fall on you
while you are under it.

Later, JR
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140 (X2)