<VV> brake note

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sun Jul 17 12:00:36 EDT 2005

>Theoretically the spring easily slides down the shoulder
>onto whatever you have placed the pointed end next to

I use the rod end with the channel cut in for that. The GM tool shown on
page 5-14 of the 65 FSM  appears to just have the channel rod and the
spring remover and not the pliers part. The other end of a pair of brake
pliers is what I am talking about with the curved pointy end and the hooked
end on the other side that I have not figured out what it is for or how to
use. (of course have only worked on GM, BLMC, and Jaguar drum brakes).

Looks like it is some sort of spring stretcher but have never been able to
use that way.
http://www.bobstools.net/Store/LS11260.html - 'nother source, think I
bought mine from JCW when they still carried such.

BTW I see that the FSM recommends installing the primary shoe first. I have
alaways found it easier to install the secondary (rear) shoe first since it
has more things attached to it, particularly on the rear brakes since it
gets the parking brake actuator out of the way. I also find it easier to
install the adjusting star wheel assembly on the bottom  before installing
the spring making sure the spring arm does not touch the wheel.

Finally, none of the illustrations of the brakes in the 65 FSM or the P&A
seem very good.  Have put the one I just used at
http://padgett.ws/files/70dbrake.jpg  Other than showing the strut
backwards, it is good particularly in showing which spring goes where.

Since I do not have a Corvair (yet, am working on it) I am working from the
65 FSM which looks similar, is the illustration close ?

Padgett