<VV> aftermarket rear defrost

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sun Jul 17 17:13:09 EDT 2005

Well just about anything is going to be aftermarket, the grid type works
best since it warms the glass however these did not appear on GM cars until
about 1970. What would have been available in the mid '60s woulld have been
a "one size fits all" blower that mounted under the rear shelf and was
covered by a grille. If you have ever looked at the package shelf from a GM
car of the period, the opening for a 6x9 rear speaker will usually be on
one side and a two dissimilar hole opening on the other where many
installed a second 6x9. This opening was for the rear window blower.

Since I cannot go down to the garage and look, I do not know if this was on
option for the Corvair (though an extension of the heater blower to the
package shelf would be easy and work better than the factory blower).
Perhaps someone else can say if the package shelf has such a cutout.

Padgett