<VV> RE: Towing Per the Tech Guide

Keith Hammett khammett at stainlessfab.com
Mon Jul 18 14:51:20 EDT 2005

see below >

-----Original Message-----
The issue is not related to load but rather a lack of lubrication - if a
wet bearing runs dry it will heat and ultimately seize. Not pretty. The THM
transmissions I am used to had a torque converter driven pump that did not
operate when the engine was stopped, the usual technique to flat tow was to
drop the drive shaft.

>yep your right

Apparently the Corvair powerglide (going from reports, I do not know) has a
"rear" or driveshaft driven pump that would keep ATF flowing to the needful
points. If so there would be no problem with the transmission.

>yep your right again

I suspect that even so it would not hurt to start and run the engine
briefly at stops in a long trip.

>only works on a running corvair...The real question is how much heat is
generated by towing a pg in neutral (happy Matt) and would it really be
beneficial to run the engine or would it actually just generate more heat.
Has any one ever took the temperature of a pg's fluid?  If so is there
results from towing and running in neutral?  Until you have some actual
readings you are just guessing what is going on, so do as suits you...

>Keith Hammett

Padgett