<VV> Oregon & NJ Laws?

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Mon Jul 18 21:22:31 EDT 2005

Tim,

I used to work for a couple of service stations in NJ way back when.  I was
told (don't know for sure) that the law hails back to the real early days when
cars were novelties and fuel was supposed to be pumped by "professionals" to
help prevent fires and explosions which were not uncommon in the early days.
Many states had laws like this but by the 50s - 60s or so most dropped them.  I
guess that the automatic pumps had better static protection, the cars had
more standard fill pipes away from the hot engines and most people knew of the
dangers filling their tanks.  I don't know why NJ and OR are still living in the
past after the other 48 states have demonstrated that the truly stupid will
remove themselves quickly from the general population and everyone will be
relatively safe.  I think that NJ still has a law on the books that requires a man
with a lantern to walk ten yards in front of a moving horseless carriage day
or night.

I hope that helps.

I agree that you need to be careful when you let the uninitiated under your
hood or even behind the wheel.  Some old cars (like my 60 Vette; R-L-D-N-P)
have unusual shift paterns and you don't want a teenage valet parking attendant
hot-rodding it in the parking lot and having an unpleasant surprise when it
takes off in an unexpected direction.  A valet may be a bit confused with our
dashboard PG shifters and may try to push it all the way up into the "Park"
position and leave it parked on a slope.  Are there any other automatic cars that
don't have a "Park" function?

Doc
In a message dated 7/18/2005 5:45:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time,