<VV> Re: Towing Per the Tech Guide

kaczmarek at charter.net kaczmarek at charter.net
Wed Jul 20 11:58:36 EDT 2005

Guys

I don't recommend dolly towing any Manual Trans Corvair.

You have to keep in mind that hole in the cases where the gear oil moves from trans to diff.

Depending on the angle of the dolly, you could easily smoke a transaxle. Not a cheap move.

OTOH, I flat dolly towed my 1st Vair--a 66 500, from Hammond,La to Buffalo (about 1300 miles) and from Buffalo to Virginia Beach (650 miles) without incident. I followed a tip on flat towing in an old communique that said to start the engine and run trans through the gears at every fuel stop.  Transaxle never got much warmer than noticeable on your hand.

Hank