<VV> Flat Towing, my experience & viewpoint

BBRT chsadek at adelphia.net
Wed Jul 20 16:13:19 EDT 2005

To beat the hell out of this, I respectfully disagree.

I flat-towed (FC) from Las Vegas to MD without subsequent problems to the
trans.  At speeds to 70mph.  The main gear stack in the trans is just above
the fluid level in the transmission.  Any splash at all due to varying
levels in trans-slosh, up hill, down hill, from the diff ring gear, etc.
will be picked up by the rotating mainshaft (from the pinion gear in diff)
and a couple of the gears fixed to the shaft.  It will be splashed around
and any residual drag of fluid or drag due to needle bearings in
clutch/input  gear will turn input/clutch gear and the cluster gear.  There
is no load, so it won't take much to turn larger mainshaft gears and cluster
gear.  Then there will be splash for main bearings.  May not be enough or it
may be. The needle bearings in the clutch/input gear lubrication from gear
oil is marginal as indicated by 68-69 trans having three holes at the root
of the gear, more or less between the needle bearings on the inside.

With gear oil full up to the level in both diff and trans, I will wager
there will be no problems flat towing a manual transmission Corvair in
neutral.

Chuck S
BBRT