<VV> Re: Towing, another viewpoint

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Wed Jul 20 12:18:53 EDT 2005

There seems to be some confusion about the flat towing of a MT Corvair as
shown in the dialog below.

What happens is that the ring gear in the diff will cause some lube to be
transferred into the tranny, and then it will flow back into the diff to keep the
two levels constant (different, but constant).
BUT this flow of lube into the tranny WILL NOT provide lubrication to the
mainshaft bearings unless the cluister gear is rotating (which requires the
engine to be running and clutch engaged. No matter how you slice it, the engine has
to run to get the mainshaft bearings lubed.
Regards,
Bob Helt