<VV> push start

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Wed Jul 20 20:11:40 EDT 2005

Push starting PG discussion:
"get it up to 25 mph to start.."

"How hard and fast is that 25 mph suggestion? I don't like the idea of pushing the car that fast with anything. What would you have to do to accelerate it that quickly--drop it off a cliff?

If you can get it up that fast buy hand, let me know. I'll sell tickets.

Chuck Kubin"

Back in the mid  90's I lent my 64 Monza Sedan to a friend to drive to the Vair Fair Show in Roanoke, VA.  He stopped for a break about 60 miles out of Richmond, and the starter decided to finish off the teeth of the torque converter. It had been making noise for several years....
He called me and I told him it would start if he had it pushed over 18 mph. He said later he talked two young men into pushing it by hand in the parking lot in 95 degree heat. They ran out of parking lot and stamina by 15 mph. Given more parking lot and a cooler day they would have had the car running.

Frank DuVal