<VV> Re: No starts

Thesuperscribe at cs.com Thesuperscribe at cs.com
Thu Jul 21 21:18:52 EDT 2005

Matt talks about push-starting one of his old cars... My first car, at age 17
in 1960, was a worn-out '49 Plymouth. Among the many lessons it taught me was
don't buy a worn-out car, and don't be too cheap to buy a new battery when
it's time.

For about two weeks during the late spring of '62 the Plymouth's flat-head
Six wouldn't turn over when I returned to it after a few hours. Oh yeah, I need
to get a battery. But it's dead now, so... I got pretty good at pushing the
car to a running pace, jumping in, shifting the three-on-a-tree to 2nd, turning
on the key and letting out the clutch. It always fired up.

I thought it was funny and bragged about it to my mom and sisters, but they
were horrified. "Poor Tommy is going to college full time and working almost
full time to pay tuition, and he should have a decent car," they told each
other. Hey, it's OK, I said, because I didn't know any better.

But they pooled some spare money and helped me buy a new car -- my '62 Monza
coupe. I later paid 'em all back, but that essentially is why I'm writing this
tonight.

--Tom Berg

***

In a message dated 7/21/2005 3:18:58 PM Pacific Daylight Time,