<VV> engine swap

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Fri Jul 22 09:58:55 EDT 2005

You are right Harry, the easy way to get the bell housing right is  to get a
late bell housing for the late engine.  As far as the  clutch is concerned,
the forks are all the same and in my experience (confirmed  by the GM parts book
info), all the pivot studs are the same. The throwout  bearing has to match
the pressure plate and flywheel combo: Bent finger pressure  plate/stepped
flywheel/short throwout  OR Flat finger pressure plate/flat  flywheel/long
throwout.  . Don't forget to add a new, lubed pilot bearing  to the crank.  You may
have to change the alt/gen bracket if the buggy has  a generator or convert
wiring to alternator.
Craig N.

<snip>I've been commisioned to put an old dune buggy back into  running
shape. The
powertrain is early. Havn't figured which early, but  it's a 145. 4 speed.
Now, the engine's locked up (been sitting out in the  weather too long), and
I want to put in a late model motor with the late  bellhousing and clutch.
What needs to be done to make this work? Something  tells me the clutch fork
pivot ball and throwout bearing need to be changed  to late. Is this right?
Anything else? Been awhile since I've done  something like this <unsnip>