<VV> Turbo Odyssey Part 18 -- Bumpers

Norman C. Witte ncwitte at wittelaw.com
Fri Jul 22 18:12:07 EDT 2005

This post can be viewed online at www.wittelaw.com/personal/turbo/18.htm

I have also added a resources web page to the Turbo Odyssey website, which
can be found at

http://www.wittelaw.com/personal/turbo/Resources.htm

I have been getting a few more odds and ends done on the turbo.  One task
that just makes a huge difference visually is getting the bumpers back on
the car.  Ok, getting the different, replated bumpers on the car that I
bought from Wall's Corvair Underground.

As I have already mentioned a couple of times, I have had bumper brackets
refinished so they look nice (I know, too compulsive).  Yesterday my new
bumper bolts from Wall's came in, so I installed my brackets.  They look
great on the shiny new bumpers.  Since they can barely be seen once the
bumpers are mounted, I took some pictures to show them off:

http://www.wittelaw.com/personal/turbo/IMG_7660.JPG

http://www.wittelaw.com/personal/turbo/IMG_7661.JPG

I learned a new thing about convertibles.  It is a mistake to install the
"cocktail shakers" in the engine compartment until after the rear bumper is
installed.  I know this now.

http://www.wittelaw.com/personal/turbo/IMG_7664.JPG

Front bumper:

http://www.wittelaw.com/personal/turbo/IMG_7666.JPG

Despite some grumbling I've read on Virtual Vairs, I have never had too much
trouble installing Corvair bumpers.  Compared to some other cars, they seem
pretty easy to me.  I use the "two towel" method, wrapping the ends with
towels and bolting the bumper on from the middle out.  On the front bumper I
had to use a drift to get one of the brackets to line up but otherwise it
was no big deal.

 The replated bumpers from Wall's were very nice.  The nuts for the bolts
they supplied are locking, so I don't have to worry about my bumpers
loosening up later.  I did buff the bolts with some white rouge and a
buffing wheel and they shined up quite nicely.

I have also started on putting the exhaust and shrouding together on the
motor.  The shroud pieces at the front of the motor have to go on before the
manifolds can be attached.  I fitted the inlet pipe in place, but won't be
finally mounted until much of the top shrouding is in place.

Here are some pictures of the exhaust:

http://www.wittelaw.com/personal/turbo/IMG_7662.JPG

I sandblasted and painted the dogs for the manifolds a couple nights ago.

http://www.wittelaw.com/personal/turbo/IMG_7667.JPG

So my little daily driver is starting to shape up.  I'm looking forward to
getting her back on the road.

My best wishes go to those on their way to the National Convention in
Portland.  I wish I could be with you.

Norm Witte