<VV> Turbo Odyssey Part 19 -- The Shroud of DeWitt

Norman C. Witte ncwitte at wittelaw.com
Mon Jul 25 08:16:45 EDT 2005

This post can be viewed on line at

www.wittelaw.com/personal/turbo/19.htm

This weekend I have been working on getting the shroud installed. Once again
I am learning that order is everything. I have not started installing the
lower shrouds because I am waiting on parts to finish them. I did however
make progress on the upper shrouds and the exhaust.

Turbos are unique in that they have exhaust plumbing that passes through the
shroud. It is a little challenging to install the turbo inlet pipe. It
installs on top of the turbo support bracket, goes through two collars that
bolt to the top of the left, front and top shrouds, must avoid the heater
hose shroud and enter the Y-pipe. I found that the best way to do this was
with the two collar shroud pieces and the Y-pipe loose. After the inlet pipe
was threaded through the top shroud, the collar that compresses the exhaust
packing and then the packing itself are installed onto the inlet. Then the
inlet is fitted into the Y-pipe.

I took a couple of photos to show the progress to date:

http://www.wittelaw.com/personal/turbo/IMG_7675.JPG

http://www.wittelaw.com/personal/turbo/IMG_7678.JPG

That's it for now.

Norm Witte