<VV> Sometimes the simplest jobs...or what I did instead of going to the convention.

kaczmarek at charter.net kaczmarek at charter.net
Mon Jul 25 17:23:52 EDT 2005

Rick et.al

>From the parts counter......

if available--ALWAYS USE RIVETED SHOES.

I realize in some cases they may be the more expensive brand. But these days  cars with drums have them only in the back. Most cars are going to 4 wheel disc anyway. Just rented a 05 Freestar Van with 4 wheel disc, which I didn't expect to see, especially in a rental fleet vehicle.

I don't think much attention is given to bonding these days, as the rear wheels are, at best doing 25-30% of the actual braking force. The majority is always on the discs, of course.

I NEVER trust bonded shoes on a 4 drum vehicle. whether it is a 2100 lb Corvair, or a 4300 lb Riviera.

Hank