<VV> Tranny/diff fluid levels

Kirby Smith kirbyasmith at gwi.net
Tue Jul 26 10:43:13 EDT 2005

The simple thing to do is add the additive.  The experimental thing to
do is test the positraction torque (I vaguely remember 300 ft lbs, but
others more current may know better) with the diff cold and warm to see
if it is in spec without the additive.

With respect to diff oil.  Modern 8Xw90 differential oils are usually
GL5.  This stuff has sulfer compounds that eat brass syncros when the
oil is very hot.  If your oil never gets hot, then no sweat.  Otherwise,
  a sulfer-free type is better.  Redline makes some suitable stuff,
forget which name, as do Audi directly, as quattros have the front diff
and tranny connected.  Presumably, GM also specifies a suitable brew.
Don't know about Amsoil.  :)

kirby