<VV> Tranny/diff fluid levels

CorvairEd at aol.com CorvairEd at aol.com
Thu Jul 21 14:30:09 EDT 2005

In a message dated 7/21/05 10:58:23 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
ncwitte at wittelaw.com writes:
Now that it is painted, I need to
fill them.  Any idea how much oil to buy.  My recollection was that I need
to fill them both from the diff cover until the gears are submerged, but I
can't remember how much that took.

Norm,
If it is a four speed transmission, it takes one gallon of 80w90 or 85w90
hypoid.  If you have a late model with the stub axles in stalled, you can add the
entire gallon through the differential lid.  The oil will flow into the
transmission by itself.  If you have an early model or FC you will have to pump the
oil into the transmission first and then into the differential till it will
not take any more after the transaxle is installed in the vehicle and the axles
are in place.

Ed Corson (CORSA member)
Inland Empire Corvair Club