<VV> '61 carb questions...

W. John Lanese wjohnlanese at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 28 14:32:04 EDT 2005

All,

Hello, I'm trying to rebuild my, what I think are, '61 H carbs on a
Greenbrier that has been sitting for over 15 years, but I've run into a few
issues on just the first carb:

1.	The Main Metering Jet will not budge, and when force was used to try
and unscrew it, the screwdriver just ripped apart the top of the jet so I
can't even get a good slot to put the screwdriver into.  Any ideas on how to
remove it (I'm sort of a novice/beginner mechanic)?
2.	I'm confused about the Throttle Valve Lever and Shaft and the
Throttle Valve Kick Lever: they look like the picture on page 55 of Clarks,
but not the shop manual for a '61.  There is no vacuum choke control, and I
think the carbs are H, not HV, but it has a plastic choke tripper.  When I
received the FC, the choke cable didn't even come into the engine
compartment.  Any ideas on what I have and course I should take during this
carb rebuild?
3.	The Throttle Valve was bent in opposite directions on either side of
the shaft (not flat).  Any ideas on where to get a new one (Clarks and
Underground don't have them), or how to flatten the original?

If these topics have come up before, I apologize for the redundancy; I'm new
here.  Any and all help needed.  Thank you in advance.

W. John Lanese