<VV> RE: Hot Start issue

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Thu Jul 28 14:10:48 EDT 2005

In a message dated 7/28/05 10:31:51 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
danderson at qcsd.org writes:

> At times when hot starting it
> cranks as thogh the battery is nearly dead.

Mitch,
As I remember your previous post, you said the engine would not turn over at
all when hot. Does it actually turn over some?

It would probably be helpful to run some tests to analyze the problem.

What happens to the headlights when on and you try a hot restart?

Have you considered swapping in a spare starter for a check?

What is the battery voltage when trying a hot restart?

Is this same voltage getting to the starter?

Do you have any bad battery connections or corroded wires/terminals?

Is it possible that this might be a problem of incorrect clearances when a
rebuild was done? (like insufficient piston to cyl clearance)

How does the start the starter/engine react to an attempted hot restart? Does
the starter just stop dead? Or does the engine turn over slowly at a constant
speed? Does the engine speed vary at all as you try to start?

I'd suggest that you look to the battery/starter circuit for the problem if
you can rule out the clearance problem.

Regards,
Bob Helt