<VV> Tranny/diff fluid levels

Kirby Smith kirbyasmith at gwi.net
Sun Jul 31 12:11:07 EDT 2005

Sorry for the late response, I'm hundreds of emails behind.

My crazy idea started with Audi's prohibitions, supported by some tech
rep at Redline.  But here is an overview link:

http://www.sbcc.ca/tech/lube1.htm

And the second footnote on this page says it all

http://oil-store.com/OilStore/Gear%20Oil%20Nutshell.htm

As noted in the first link, the sulfer compounds in modern hypoid EP
oils are likely safe at their recommended temperature, whatever that
might be relative to a particular application.  I believe I used Redline
MT-1 to avoid this possible problem when I replaced the transaxle fluid
in my S6.  I don't remember what I filled my Corvair transaxle with 20
years ago.  Since it hasn't been warm since then, I'm not yet worried.  :)

kirby