<VV> oil filter and alternator mount bolts...

JVHRoberts at aol.com JVHRoberts at aol.com
Sun Jul 31 21:20:28 EDT 2005

Well, the aluminum is also lower in modulus than steel, so load spreading  by
all the threads happens with little or no permanent deformation of the
aluminum part. So, the bolt is the weakest link. Grade 5 is what GM uses for all
automotive fasteners as a minimum. Going less than that is flirting with
failure. GRade 2 is FAR less fatigue resistant than Grade 5, Grade 2 is FAR  softer
than Grade 5, and I just won't use anything less for ANY automotive
fasteners. Add to that the thermal cycling, and that aluminum has nearly 3 times  the
CTE of steel, and you could slowly stretch bolts that way. Given that the  oil
filter mount carries the load of the alternator (which, if you'll notice,
uses Grade 8 bolts from the factory, no doubt due to the high bending moment on
those!) and the idler pulley, it's just not worth it to go cheap.

John

In a message dated 7/31/2005 5:20:11 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,