<VV> oil filter and alternator mount bolts...

Kirby Smith kirbyasmith at gwi.net
Sun Jul 31 22:37:28 EDT 2005

I hope no one misunderstood me; I was not promoting cheap nor do I have
grade 2 CRES bolts holding down my alternator.  In fact, I'm a fan of
overkill.  I'm reasonably sure (without looking) that my alternator is
using the OEM bolts.  However, I was in doubt about grade 2 bolts
breaking in that application.

The three threads point I made was not to assert that more threads are
not needed, but that with steel on steel most of the force is taken up
by the area of only three threads, no matter how many are engaged, or so
I have inferred in the past from the MEs I interact with at work.  I
understood that to be due to standard tolerances in thread forming, but
I will ask.  I don't believe they intended to imply that the engaged
surface area was continuous so that only three threads had to be
engaged, but I will ask about that also.

kirby