<VV> Convertible top pins

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Fri Jun 3 20:26:07 EDT 2005

At 01:17 hours 06/03/2005, Joe West wrote:
>I certainly cannot speak for late convertibles... but I can speak for my
>early.  I can jack up the left front corner under the body, leaving the
>other three wheels on the ground and I don't get wrinkles In the top because
>the body flexes.
>
>Are late model convertibles REALLY that flexible?  If so... that is NOT
>good.

They do flex, but not THAT much.   They have a lower and narrower profile
floor/rocker than the earlies.   They also will flex more after they've
"aged" a bit.

They're flexible enough that the General thought they needed the dampers in
the corners.   The most I've seen a relatively solid late ragtop actually
flex was my Corsa ragtop, which managed to flex enough to pinch the hell
out of my arm that was draped across the gap between the door and rear
fender as I was backing up diagonally across a driveway.   The body flexed
a bit and left me with a 2" blood-blister type pinch on the thin part of
the hide on my arm.

Lates aren't "bad" for flexing, they just do it more than earlies.

tony..