<VV> Re: Indestructible engine

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 17 13:47:28 EDT 2005

> They should have let me have a try.  I was only able to drive my 3G
> rebuilt 110 for thirty miles before I lost the #3 rod bearing which
> proceeded to take out the rest of the new rod and main bearings, score
> the crank (which sent iron shards throughout the engine) and the #3
> rod beyond saving, and score the cylinders, pistons and rings.  All of
> this occurred without a single dash light even flickering and while
> the belt was intact and the blower functioning.

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas
Corvairium II

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza sedan 110 (now closer to 0 as the engine
is in pieces all over the garage floor)
Sierra Tan (originally, currently Copper) - Saddle, PG, A/C, original
AM/FM, clock, tint, oil bath air filter, vertical bumper guards, w/ 77K
(and indefinitely holding)
(Back in group red : (

========================

I was SMUGLY pleased that they failed to kill that engine. Word had it
that someone suggested that he rerun the "contest" the following year
and try it again.

The saving grace of that little fiasco is that I got the '60 gas tank
from the car that once contained the engine. It's on reserve and
stored, which means that I will *never* need a gas tank for any of the
'60 Vairs here.

tony..

PS: At no time did that '60 engine ever as much as puff a whisp of
smoke out the tailpipe. I was watching.
are the property
mailto:vv-help at corvair.org
http://www.corvair.org/