<VV> Brier tire sizes?

Bill Elliott Corvair at fnader.com
Sun Jun 19 21:17:24 EDT 2005

I just recently went through a similar search for my Corvair-powered Westy which also has the stock tire size of 7.00-14 (and a wheel width of 5.5"), but in a
reinforced sidewall due to the rated weight (4800lbs) of the vehicle (and to think VW thought a 1600 was sufficient!!!).

Anyway, the van had 185/70-14 on it when I acquired it and it looked and performed acceptably, but the load rating was WAY too low...

The VW guys consider a 185R14 a direct replacement for the 7.00-14 (no aspect ratio... just straight 185R14). You find these in commercial tire sizes in a
load range D. Tirerack carries Michelin ($100ish and considered the best tire available) and a Conti Vanco ($75ish) and the BusDepot.com carries the
Hankook (rated superior to the Michelin in some tests and only $70ish). Hakka also makes a CS version, but it starts at about $140.

Guys also use the 195R14 (available in the Vanco and the Hankook)

If your required load rating isn't extreme, then the 195/75-14 is the best all-around size and is readily available. Some folks use the 205/70-14. I think I'd
personally go with one of these or possibly a 185/75-14 or even a 195/75-14.

Finally, if mud and snow traction is necessary, the 27x8.5-14 might fit (but this would be pushing the stock rim width... in my opinion past it)

Good luck!
Bill Elliott

>Its been a while since I have owned a FC and now just aquired 3 greenbriers.Deal just dropped in my lap.
>so I was wondering if anyone would reccomend a tire size for a set of oringinal rims. the vans have about 4 different mismatched size  tires on several
different style rims (olds rally. chrome ,and oem rims)
> wil be striping one to fix the others as it is to far gone to save. one is very nice(63 deluxe green/white140 4spd very nice interior persentable paint window
screens, 4 way flasher, backup lights runs very heathly) but has brake problems and needs tires(parts on order) the other ahs been a bit butchered (63
black/white 80hp/3spd)and will need parts from the parts van including wiring harness brakes, tires .one or both will be sold after proper repairs are
completed so if anyone is interested in a brier keep your eyes out for my post. Hope to get both road worthy in a coupe weeks. I would like to keep the
green one but already had 3 vairs so something. may sell the 64 monza coupe with factory A/C (my daily driver)