<VV> Corvair Steering Gear Box Cores

peter koehler pkoehler01 at atlanticbb.net
Mon Jun 20 19:56:15 EDT 2005

Group: For the rest of us who are not in the know about
Corvair steering gear boxes, I know of two sources to sell
your rebuild-able cores to. Of course Cal Clark and
company are quite capable to rebuild the boxes stock and
sell them back to folks in our hobby. Check his website
for current prices (last time I checked the going rate was
$25 each and you pay the shipping). Another vendor
interested in our used steering boxes is Total Performance
in Wallingford, CT. That company builds fiberglass "T"
Bucket street rods and uses a Corvair or a Vega gear box.
Total Performance reverses the input - output of the box
for their application. Once done the box is useless to the
Corvair hobbyist. Check the TP website for current prices
but the last price I was quoted was $50 each and Mickey
(owner Mickey Lauria) pays the shipping. So it comes down
to a decision: Do you want to be greedy and send our
Corvair cores elsewhere or do you want to support our
vendors? For the record I send everything else to Cal but
still do biz with Mickey and the street rod gang. I would
love to build a Corvair powered "T" bucket street rod some
day...- Pete K