<VV> Octane

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Mon Jun 20 23:43:23 EDT 2005

Seems the concensus is that the 140 engine wants all of the octane it can
get and that I should run at least premium.

When I was young and premium was 3 cents more per gallon, that is what I
did. Today when my other cars have a 3.8" bore (complex issue but all
things being equal an engine with a larger bore will know before a smaller)
and 9:1 compression, less overlap (better chamber filling at low rpm), and
very steep gears (2000 rpm at 70 mph) yet are happy with 87 PON I must
wonder if the computer controls make that much difference.

Distributors are a kludge just like carburetors and we are always
compensating for them. Years ago when I worked for Delco Remy I studied a
lot of curves and found that it was more of a few basic sets of weights and
make them work with the engine. Curves were really more like steps and "all
in early" was common.

Before computers with maps for every 100 rpm and corrections for load (LV8)
and temperature I used to go for quite a bit of initial, not much
mechanical, and a lot of vaccuum resulting in very good part throttle
response and low engine temperatures at cruise. Of course now we have knock
sensors to dial back when limits are exceeded.

Once I find the right car I suspect that a 2.8 V-6 FI and ignition are
going to find its way on, expect the hardest part to be the fuel rails and
injector ports. Will that make it not a Corvair ? Might even get a
high-flow catalytic converter instead of a muffler (have done similar
before, keep all of the original parts in baggies and rework other pieces
for experimentation).  Heck in five years I doubt that there will be any
iron engines left - too heavy. Is clear that the 3800 is on its way out.

Nothing radical, just the way GM would be building Corvair engines if they
were still building Corvair engines.

However I just have this itch that a 3.5" bore engine with a 9:1 CR that
requires today's premium fuel has something odd about it. May not be
obvious but is there and I'd like to know why.

Padgett