<VV> Good news/bad news

Bob & Kathy Gilbert bgilbert at redshift.bc.ca
Mon Jun 20 23:45:09 EDT 2005

The good news is my suspected dropped valve seat turned out to be nothing
more than a poorly adjusted lifter (user error!)

The bad news is that I after I adjusted the lifter I took my 66 180 for a
couple of it's first high speed runs (65MPH is still my max), came back and
there was oil all over the previously spotless engine. The oil had come out
of the dipstick tube.

Oil level was half way between fill and full. At the time I was still
running with the air cleaner off and I had forgotten that I had the breather
plugged.

So I figured that was it. I put the air cleaner on, connected up the lines
and went off. Same thing but much less.

The obvious choice is excess crankcase pressure but from where? The
crankcase breather pipe was completely cleaned to the best of my
recollection.

Interestingly enough I have had several runs at about 55-60 MPH and no
problem so it seems to be associated with the higher RPMs

Any ideas most welcome!

Thanks,
Bob