<VV> Wagon Update

vairologist at juno.com vairologist at juno.com
Sat Jun 25 16:30:20 EDT 2005

Smitty says:  It was a guide failure and I guess I will never understand
what happened.  The guide was still in place but badly worn to one side.
The stem is in awful shape.  It actually looks like it was left out in
the weather and left to rust for a year.  The pushrod oil holes are clear
and the rocker and ball are well lubed.  Also the spring was some
collapsed (maybe 3/16 of an inch).  Don't want to confuse cause with
effect.  Don't know if combustion gasses ruined the spring, or spring
failure was part of the guide failure.  Remember this engine only has
akout 3K on it. Somebody that has worked a number of failures like this
can fill me in on what likely caused it.  I'm interested.
        I really hate this but with waiting for monday to even get a
guide in the mail it is going to run too long to make it to the Mini so
that is off the agenda completely now.   Sorry guys, I was looking
forward to your show.