<VV>Fan HP

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 26 16:56:18 EDT 2005

If the engine runs cooler without the lower shrouds, then why did the
Gen. install them on every car.  I'm not trying to be a horse's patute,
I really want to know what the down side (if any) might be of running
an engine without the shrouds (assuming that I ever get my 110 together
and running again).

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas
Corvairium II

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza sedan 110 (now closer to 0 as the engine
is in pieces all over the garage floor)
Sierra Tan (originally, currently Copper) - Saddle, PG, A/C, original
AM/FM, clock, tint, oil bath air filter, vertical bumper guards, w/ 77K
(and indefinitely holding)
(Back in group red : (

I have run tests with and without the lower shrouds running at highway
speeds and noting both cylinder head temps and oil temps. There is a
significant reduction in these temps with the lower shrouds removed.

I think you are correct in your theory that there is air under the car,
but apparently it's not as much as you theorize.

I have seen GT3 Corvairs with an underbody air dam somewhere under the
rear of the car, maybe around the transmission, I don't remember
exactly, which is meant to "spoil" this air flow. It does exist, but,
again, it is apparently not as significant as to completely disturb the
airflow coming from the fan.

Bruce