<VV> Oil pressure gauge

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Mon Jun 27 15:49:51 EDT 2005

>I have two cars that I have added mechanical oil pressure gages to and
>both have failed.  Since I had trouble on one car with the plastic 1/8"
>tubing breaking, I redid both cars using a one piece 1/8"/8" copper line
>that I was able to buy in 25' rolls.  I am now having trouble with both
>cars failing.

On my B/P Vette I had a 270 degree gauge mounted in front of the windshield
and connected by a short length 3/8 line. Could just about see the lobes on
the oil pump come around. With a fast acting gauge you can see changes in
hard corners and watch it take a hitch as the relief valve opened. For
street use 1/4" is as small as I would go. Just be sure to bleed all of the
air out of the line.

When I find a Corvair I will probably install a good electric gauge (two
wire, sender and ground) since the run from the engine to the dash is so long.

Padgett