<VV> EM windshield gasket - FINALLY

Lonny Clark Lonny.Clark at metro1.com
Mon Jun 27 19:41:57 EDT 2005

The windshield is in! Using the Steele gasket from Underground I was
able to get it in myself, I did not have to take the car to a pro, nor
did I need to cut up the stainless trim. Thanks to everyone who posted
with suggestions.

Here is what did the trick (number 4 is the important piece that is not
in the instructions):
1: Put the rubber onto the windshield.
2: Put the cord in the rubber and taped to inside of windshield (as per
instructions).
3: Put the stainless trim into the channel.
4: Starting in the bottom center, pull the rubber into place over the
trim. This pulls the rubber away from the windshield, so place masking
tape that holds the rubber to the windshield and more importantly
retains the position of the rubber as it relates to the trim. Do this
all the way around the windshield using masking tape one inch apart.
5: Put butyl rubber bead around the pinchweld, heavy at the corners.
6: Spray soapy watery completely around windshield opening.
6: Place bottom center of windshield onto the pinchweld and lean back
the top until it holds its' own weight.
7: Check your alignment, slide left or right until it's centered.
8: Slowly pull out the cord, working the rubber over the pinchweld. I
also had a small pick with a 90 degree end to help with this.
9: Once the rubber is completely over the pinchweld, I sprayed more
soapy water all around the opening. Then I started pressing down and in
slowly and carefully, going from one side to the other so I didn't put
too much pressure on one point of the glass.
10: Once in place, I removed all of the pieces of tape.
11: Called up everybody to brag on my mechanikin' skills.

Once again, thanks to everyone for their help.

Lonny