<VV> Re: Synthetic Blends

John Kepler jekepler at amplex.net
Tue Jun 28 15:30:14 EDT 2005

>   He usually did an overhaul after 13 races (Mid-season) he tore  the
engine
> down and found NO wear of parts, put them back in and finished the
season.

Everyone likes to talk about synthetic in their racing engines......Red Line
was one of our sponsors and we used it exclusively in our Nissan CA-20
racing engines.  But the hardest working engine in ANY racing team is the
one in the primary tow vehicle!  These beasts get run hard and generally put
away wet!  They run thousands of non-stop miles towing cars, parts, tires,
the work-shop, the beer-cooler and simply CAN'T breakdown.  Our tow vehicle
was a Ford E-450 PDV with a 460 gas engine.  From the time the engine was
broken in until we sold it, that 460 Ford was fed Mobil 1 exclusively.  That
poor old truck ran 3 full IMSA seasons without a significant hiccup.  Being
mindful of the upcoming campaign and with the race cars in good order....we
decided it might be a good idea to take a look at the engine in the truck.
Every bearing and bearing surface gauged as "new"...the cylinders and
pistons looked like you'd just broken them in on a dyno.  Generally, the
interior of the engine was pristine....no coke or sludge.  We simply
buttoned the motor back up, replaced all the gaskets and seals, touched-up
the valves, torqued her down and shoved her back into the PDV......and took
back the rebuild kit, saving close to $700!  My company trucks take a
beating....and see nothing but Mobil 1!

Synthetic works folks.

John