<VV> rust protection with sprayed bedliners

Western Canada CORSA westerncanadacorsa at shaw.ca
Wed Mar 2 11:55:26 EST 2005

Brian,

One of our buddies owns just such a business, and "yes" it is all of the
things you describe.  I don't know if you watch Overhaulin'/Rides in TLC,
but Troy Trepanier did exactly that in place of undercoating in one of his
high dollar buildups.

A couple of things you should be aware of.  There are three processes to
apply bedliner, roll-on (crap), low heat (looks so-so compared to high heat)
IE Rhinoliner, and high heat, such as Linex, Ameriguard & Truckskins
(www.truckskins.com) uses.  The high heat process looks the best and dries
within seconds.  Linex uses a 50/50 mix of chemicals and after a few years
it will develop a white chalky finish.  Ameriguard & Truckskins are a 70/30
mix and look better for longer.  They can also be colour matched at
additional cost.

We put a colour matched Truckskins liner on the inside of our buddy Mike's
"Westbrier" project, it's a 'brier with a Westphalia top (it'll be at the
Nat's this year) and the floor looks awesome, will take all the abuse his
kids can throw at it and should add some sound deadening to the interior
(project still isn't complete so we don't know how much).

If you want to have a coating applied to the bottom of your car I would
strongly recommend doing some negotiating with the business first.  The
biggest part of the Westbrier job was the masking, it took hours and hours,
and my guess is that James wouldn't have done it without all of our help.
If you car is stripped to a shell, you can do much of the masking yourself,
although the business will still have to do the final laydown as they use a
special tape that has piano wire built in so they can cut the overspray.

Also, if the business owner hasn't done a car before, and is leary about
giving you a quote because he's unsure of how much product he'll use, you
could try negotiating a "per-stroke" cost as the equipment has a counter
that measures how many strokes the pump makes for each job.  And one last
thing, you don't need (IMO) to have it applied to standard truckbed
thickness, which may save you a few bucks.

Regards,
Joel