<VV> windshield removal (Now Chip Removal)

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Wed Mar 2 12:21:19 EST 2005

Hi Joe,

I forget the formula but the concept is that the tendency for a brittle
substance such as glass to propagate a crack is in reverse proportion to the radius
of the initial crack.  In effect, a scallop in the edge of the glass with a
1/2 inch radius will probably not propagate, with conditions.  However, if
there is a sharp crack in the edge, it will probably travel further when any
stress is put on it.  Keep in mind that sometimes the large diameter scallop in the
edge also comes with a few sharp fractures.  It is these tiny radius
fractures that propagate, not the scallop.  Look closely at the edge for tiny cracks
and grind/sand them away.  Even when working with metals, designers know that
they need to use fillets at corners or you run the risk of starting a stress
crack.

Doc
In a message dated 3/1/2005 10:17:03 AM Pacific Standard Time,