<VV> Vendors on the Board

John Kepler bigjohnohio at worldnet.att.net
Sun Mar 6 10:43:29 EST 2005

I asked the person on the BOD
> who
> asked me as to whether being a vendor would be a conflict of interest.
They
> supposedly checked with some other board members and got back to me that
> it would not be a good idea.

I usually just lurk on this list, but the rather convoluted logic associated
with this position that a "vendor" on the CORSA BOD "...would not be a good
idea" hit a nerve, and is an indicator of what I feel is wrong in the
organization.  A parts vendor may be the PERFECT BOD member based his total
involvement in the well-being of the marque.  He/she isn't a
dilettante....they're in it up to their eyeballs, including their wallets,
mortgage payment, and the shirt on their backs.  THAT'S the kind of
engagement and perspective ANY organization needs, but is also one that is
curiously rejected by the more elite "scotch and soda" crowd rather the more
pragmatic "beer and dirty knuckles" part of any "collector" organization.

In road racing, it was the dithering inherent in the "scotch and soda"
dilettante approach to management that made SCCA such a nightmare to race in
above a club-level, and the pragmatic and business-oriented NASCAR-patterned
IMSA just the opposite.  CORSA could use a bit less of the former, and a
little more of the latter, IMNHO, which is why I'm very happy to see someone
like Lon on the Board!  We need MORE like him where it counts for the long
haul!

Just my 2 cents!

John Kepler