<VV> Re: VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 2, Issue 145

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Sun Mar 20 10:01:07 EST 2005

> Last year I pulled the deep oil pan off me Greenbriar to change the gasket.
> The pickup was NOT dropped as it should be and the sump had a large
> collection of sludge in it, even some lead from gas way back when...........
>
> Is it advantageous to have a deep sump like this for a debris depository?
>
> Original owner took real good care of this van, only 58,000 miles when I got
> it but it had been updated to a 110 motor and 65 differential. Still, I have
> never seen this amount of sludge in a Vair pan...............
>
> Gary Swiatowy

What condition were the PCV and  thermostats/doors in?
Might be anecdotal confirmation for the fears of running "too cool"

I'd really expect reasonably frequent oil changes would keep the sludge levels pretty low

I think The secret Toyota and well publicized Dodge V-6 sludging problems of just a few years ago were related to crankcase ventilation