<VV> Re: learning to weld (not Corvair)

Dave Morris "BigD" BigD at DaveMorris.com
Sun Mar 20 18:55:57 EST 2005

I was basing it on my experience of learning MIG welding in a controlled
environment with plenty of ventilation and spatter control.  A couple of
weekends ago I welded some 1.5 inch thin wall tubing onto a thick carb
flange.  If I had MIG welded it, I am certain that the weld would have been
close to burning through the tubing while the carb flange might not have
even gotten hot enough to take the weld.  It would have looked great and
not been very strong.  Instead, I used a size 2 Victor tip on my torch to
carefully apply more heat to the flange than to the tubing and get the weld
puddle perfect before adding filler.  Maybe someone with a lot of MIG
experience could have also done it, but I ain't that experienced.

My general impression after learning oxyfuel, MIG, and TIG, and doing most
of my work in a hangar with only a 110V circuit, is that a novice can
probably learn to make better looking welds (on steel) that are more likely
to be of adequate strength, using oxyfuel, and for less money.  The
complete Victor torch set with 3 different tips, a cutting handle, hose,
and accessories was under $300.  The bottles rent for $9 a month around
here.  And I feel more competent with those welds than I would with a $300
MIG welder.  I'll grant you that it is probably nice to be able to grab
some piece of metal in one hand, the MIG welder in the other, and make a
few quick welds that would have taken much longer to set up with a
torch.  But I also wasted a lot of metal getting the MIG welder set up
right, and that didn't happen with the torch.

I also believe that everybody will have their own opinions, and after I get
the hang of this d!@#$%&ged stainless steel on the TIG machine, I might
become a convert to a $1000 TIG machine, too!

Dave Morris