<VV> Mark vs Earlies

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Mon Mar 21 17:14:28 EST 2005

Smitty, Smitty, Smitty. You totally misunderstand what I said. I DIDN'T
say pull them completely out of the vehicle. In "pulling the axles" you
have to PULL THEM OUT of the diff, otherwise the axles won't allow the
engine to drop enough to clear the back end of the body as you separate
it at the bellhousing. THAT is "pulling the axles!" And YES, I've done a
clutch job on an early PITA.

On a late model, you don't even have to touch the axles, let alone
separate them from the diff (or anything else), in order to drop the
drivetrain enough to get the engine out. THAT is what makes the late
model clutch job simpler than on an early model.

-Mark