<VV> Tire gurus - What kind of tires do I have?

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Sun Mar 27 01:19:14 EST 2005

Doug,

You must be just a young buck. You can tell what tire construction it is
by the size designation configuration (for lack of a better word.) The
original sizes of 6.50-13 and 7.00-13 were bias ply tires, and were
replaced by, respectively, C78-13 and D78-13 when belted-bias tires came
out. These were in turn replaced by radials of P185/80-13 size, the
7.00-13 and D78-13 not having a common radial size. It's why I've always
said that the P185/80-13's are an inch too small, and I have some
original 7.00-13's to prove it!

I used to use D78-13's all the time back in the early '70's. Perfect
size replacement for the originals. Not so, these too-tiny radials,
which is all you can get these days. By rights, REAL Corvair radials
ought to be P205/80-13 size.

Man, I wish we could talk Coker into reproducing REAL tires for Corvairs!

-Mark